Tuesday, March 06, 2007

This American Life is Awesome

This Thursday I went to see "This American Life Live" at the Chicago Theatre. This was so exciting, and I'm really glad I went--even though I paid out the ass for it. This American Life is my favorite radio show, Ira Glass is my favorite radio host. Obviously Ira hosted. Sarah Vowell, Jonathan Goldstein, and Dan Savage wrote stores about everyday people--themselves. Director, Chris Wilcha talked about making the upcoming TV version of This American LIfe. And Mates of State was the house band.

I'm going to call This American Life TAL from now on in this blog--not to sound douche baggy, but because This American Life is to long to write and sounds odd over and over.

Anyway TAL is really something I want to emulate in Robotic Bacon. For those of you who don't know, TAL has been on public radio for more than 10 years and is stories about everyday life. And they interview everyday people. Ira Glass holds the show together with his silky radio voice. He knows a great deal about how the radio works and how to keep people entertained. This is a video clip of him spreading his knowledge.



I like to think I'm at the point he is talking about. I understand what makes most things good or crappie. And I like to think that one day I'll be up to his hight. This is part 3 of 4 if you want to watch the rest go here and go down to Tuesday, February 27, 2007.

Anyway, back to the show I saw. It had an interesting mix of Northern Red Liners and Northern Brown Liners. Hipsters, who like the look of the dirty subway and rich elitists who like the lack of the depressing poor on the EL. A combination of ironic t-shirts and purls.

This was my favorite thing I've done in a while. I'm so glad I went, even though I was by my self. Mates of State was really cool and TAL was hilarious and very informative. If anyone is trying to become an entertainer or journalist or radio host I think TAL is an important study. Very recommended, um if you can go back in time, or go to one of the other cities its going to be at. I believe it's all over by now so your best bet is to go back in time.

The TV show will debut March 22nd on Showtime. And the radio show plays every weekend on local Public Radio stations, or as a free podcast every monday. Download it from the website.

No comments: