Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Share your Music Taste

I have been using a new web application, still in its Alpha stage, called iLife. It is a social networking website used to spread your musical taste. I am really enjoying it. The website has a clean, easy-to-understand layout and so far it hasn't become to big or complex.

While the website helps to keep track of your friends, find new friends, send messages to your friends, and all around wast time, the real music magic happens in the iLike sidebar. This sidebar attaches to iTunes (or most other music players, I think) and displays music "related" to whatever is currently playing. It separates the songs into copyrighted music, which can be bought at the iTunes music store, or my favorite, what they call "free music by new artists." This is a great feature that will be able to give upcoming musicians a larger voice online. In the mean time it gives me quality music for free and I like free music. iLife was created by the designers of GarageBand.com, a website for independent artists to distribute there music online for free. They now use iLife to distribute these artists.

I have only been using it for a few days and the only problems I have seen is the sidebar slows my computer down a tiny bit and there aren't nearly enough people using it to get really good peer recommendations. A few additions I think they should add to the next few updates, is a section showing recently downloaded songs using the webpage and perhaps, because I am a little obsessed with podcasts, a page recommending podcasts based on which ones are playing. But there will definitely be major changes in the leap from Alpha to Beta and on.

This is definitely a website everyone who likes music should check out. The designers can change and fiddle with the website but, it will only get better when more people contribute. You'll find me as Die-Lon, be my friend I only have one.

No comments: